Sep 6, 2010

We're following the river, the river, the...

Today Grandpa and I took a truly lovely drive up along the Calapooia river, and saw the house he grew up in.  It has been moved, remodeled, and built onto, but the original house is still there.


Grandpa's family lived in the original house, which was only as wide as the gabled part, and not very long behind either.  They didn't have all seven kids while living here, but seven or eight people is plenty for this little house.

After seeing the house, we drove up to a beautiful spot, where we could get right down to the river without much difficulty.  It was incredibly beautiful, and there were some great fishing holes too :)



What you can't see, is that right next to me was a huge spider web between two rocks, and the enormous resident too.  I'm not arachnophobic,  but it was HUGE! I tried to get a picture, but the combo of bad lighting and my iphone didn't work out, so I'll have to go back with an actual camera one of these days :)



This was an enormous tree that grandpa said was probably carried down river when the water was high and fast.  To give you a sense of proportion, realize it was about 6 ft in diameter, and really really long.

When we got back to the farm, the sun was drifting towards the horizon, and the flowers looked so lovely I just had to share :)




  I vote two posts is plenty for one day, good night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment